FAQ - Submitting A Claim

ENWIN is committed to providing our customers with safe and reliable power.  We also deliver safe and reliable drinking water to Windsor, LaSalle and Tecumseh, through a Water System Operating Agreement (WSOA) with Windsor Utilities Commission.

Like every other local distribution company in Ontario, ENWIN cannot guarantee an uninterrupted supply of electricity, and there are times when power outages or surges may occur, causing loss or damage to property.

Many of these cases are due to severe weather, wildlife, accidents or other causes beyond our control.  ENWIN is not liable for damages from these causes.

If the damage resulted from ENWIN's negligence, you may be eligible for compensation.

What options are available to me if I have suffered a loss?
  • You may submit a claim either through your home or business insurance;
  • You may be able to have your damaged item repaired or replaced under the manufacturer's warranty, retail store extended warranty or credit card purchase insurance; or
  • You may submit a Damage or Loss Claim through the online form.  ENWIN will investigate the incident and will send a copy of the investigation report and your Insurance Claim Form to our liability insurer for their consideration. Settlements are solely based on the presence or absence of legal liability.
What are some common causes that are not eligible for claims?

As ENWIN cannot guarantee an uninterrupted supply of electricity, damage claims resulting from these electricity related events are typically not eligible for compensation from ENWIN:

  • Severe weather, such as ice, lightning, winds, floods, storms
  • Fallen trees/branches
  • Animal contact with equipment (squirrels, birds, etc.)
  • Motor vehicle accidents involving utility poles
  • Unexpected equipment failure
  • Voltage changes

Please refer to the Ontario Energy Board's Distribution System Code and ENWIN's Conditions of Service for more details.

Damage claims resulting from water related events such as these are typically not eligible for compensation from ENWIN:

  • Flooding
  • Sewer Backup
  • Any damage or loss, whether original or consequential, caused by the stoppage, interruption or reduction of the water supplied to the land
  • Any damage incurred from freezing of any private service pipe or private fire service pipe
How does the claim process work?

ENWIN formalizes the claim on your behalf and forwards the package to the General Liability Claims Administration Unit of The MEARIE Group.

The MEARIE Group is an organization that specializes in handling claims against electricity distribution companies such as ENWIN. An insurance adjuster will review your claim and contact you directly if clarification or further information is required. You will receive written correspondence advising you as to the outcome of your claim directly from The MEARIE Group.

Note: As with any review process, a response will not be immediate. You should allow up to 60 days for a response. We appreciate your patience.

How long will my claim take?

It typically takes 60 days for The MEARIE Group to review an individual claim from the time of your submission.  Once The MEARIE Group receives your claim and supporting information and documentation, they commence an investigation to determine the cause of the incident. Every claim is different and requires a specific set of considerations.

Who can I call to inquire as to the status of my claim?

Once your claim has been forwarded to the insurance adjuster, all inquiries must be addressed to The MEARIE Group.  You will receive contact information for The MEARIE Group, and your claim number, after your claim is investigated by ENWIN.  This process may take up to 10 business days.  If we have additional questions, we will contact you through the contact information provided with your submission.

Can I receive a decision on my claim directly from ENWIN?

No, under the terms of our insurance agreement, the insurance adjuster must make any and all determinations related to your claim. We cannot advise you of the anticipated outcome of your claim.

How are claims paid?

If it is determined that your damages have resulted from ENWIN’s negligence or willful misconduct, you will be paid the lesser of the following two amounts:

  1. The cost to repair the damaged item, or;
  2. The value of an item of like kind and quality that has the same amount of wear and tear as the item that was damaged. 

Claims are not paid out based on the replacement value.  For example: If you purchased a refrigerator for $1,000 (which typically has a 10 year useful life), and the damage occurred after 4 years, the amount of compensation would likely be $600 if ENWIN was found negligent.

Should I contact my personal insurance company?

Although every claim and policy is different, we recommend contacting your insurance agent or broker to find out if you are covered for the damage.

There may be benefits to claiming a loss through your personal insurance: 

  • Insurance companies typically pay full replacement value for any damaged items, whereas if ENWIN is found negligent, you would be paid the lesser of the cost to repair the damaged item or the value of an item of like kind and quality.
  • The MEARIE Group typically requires 60 days to investigate the claim, whereas your insurance company may be able to process your claim quicker. 

If you file a claim through your insurance company, they may elect to submit a damage claim against ENWIN on your behalf to recover some of the funds that are dispersed to you. If your insurance company’s claim against ENWIN is successful, they may reimburse your deductible.

Do I need to keep my damaged items?

Yes! Please do not throw away any damaged items until a decision has been made on your claim. The MEARIE Group may need to validate damaged items.

The property that was damaged must be repaired or replaced immediately and I can’t wait for weeks to hear from an insurance adjuster. Can we expedite the claim?

No, although we understand that some equipment may require immediate repair or replacement.  Whether these costs are covered depends on the decision of the insurance adjuster.  If you need to replace your items immediately, please keep the damaged equipment until your claim has been processed.

If you wish to submit a claim, click here to access the Damage or Loss Claim Online Form.

Related Links

ENWIN Conditions of Service
City of Windsor (City Claims website)