To keep yourself and your property safe, and to minimize potential liabilities ensure you arrange for an Electrical Inspection of any portable generator connection to your home wiring. If you are running a Portable Generator connected to your home wiring system that has not been inspected you are operating an illegal and potentially unsafe piece of electric equipment and wiring.
In addition, you:
- may find yourself liable for any injury or death that occurs as a result of a generator that has been improperly or illegally installed or connected
- may be endangering members of your family, your neighbours, and Utility workers
- should disconnect the Generator and temporary wiring
- should request an Electrical Inspection
- must ensure that your generator hook up method and materials include a transfer device - this is a key to ensuring your electrical safety
A licensed Electrical Contractor can assist you in ensuring the safe connection of a Portable Generator for your use, and will make arrangements for any inspection.
The Ontario Electrical Safety Code outlines specific requirements for connecting and operating Portable Generators in the Province to eliminate electrical fire and shock hazards.